What will happen to Satan when Jesus returns to earth?
Introduction Sometimes the world we live in seems frightening, confusing, hostile and dangerous. Is it possible that Satan the Devil really exists and that he has something to do with the conditions we see around us? Is Satan relevant to your life? The Bible teaches us about God’s promises, plan and purpose. It also teaches us about Satan – where he came from, what he is doing, how we can avoid being drawn into his deception and what his ultimate fate will be. Use this lesson to discover the answers.
Did God create Satan?
Ezekiel 28:11-15 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "You were the seal of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering….The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created. "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you."
1. Who was in the Garden of Eden? Of those in the Garden, which one does Ezekiel 28 seem to be describing? (Review Genesis 2-3.)
2. What kind of a being is a "cherub" ?
3. The individual described in Ezekiel 28 is a created being not an eternal being. What kinds of qualities was he created with?
4. What did he decide to be like? What is iniquity?
5. Please read Isaiah 14:12-14
. What did Lucifer decide to do?
COMMENT: Lucifer was a powerful and beautiful angelic being, created by God and serving at His throne. The Bible doesn't reveal when he was created, but it was well before God created Adam and Eve. Lucifer was perfect when he was created and continued to be perfect in all his ways until he sinned by rebelling against and trying to exalt himself above God. The name Lucifer means "morning star, or light bearer." God apparently created Lucifer to serve mankind by bringing light and truth to the world. Instead, he chose to become "Satan" which means "adversary" – the enemy of God. His self-appointed purpose is to oppose God, to bring confusion and destruction to mankind and to thwart God’s plan.Satan’s influence begins John 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it."
1. How does Jesus describe Satan?
2. What does it mean that these Jews were "of their father the devil"?
3. What lies did the serpent (Satan) tell Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? (Read Genesis 3:1-5) Did Satan murder Adam and Eve? If so, how?
Satan’s influence today
: So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
1. How has Satan affected the world?
2. What characteristics does Satan have and what methods does he use that makes him so convincing and deceptive? (Read 2 Cor 11:14
. Remember what the name "Lucifer" means?)
3. What lies does Satan "tell" society today? (Hint: Think about people’s view of the purpose of life, moral standards, values and lifestyles. What do people believe and practice? How does that compare to what you are learning about God’s way?)
4. What do you think is the biggest lie Satan has told in today’s world?
5. What methods does he use to tell his lies? (Hint: Consider science, education, entertainment, religion…)
COMMENT: God created Lucifer, the light bringer. Lucifer "created" (became) Satan, the adversary. Satan started telling his lies to the first man and woman and hasn’t stopped since. For now, God is allowing Satan to influence and confuse people by making evil appear to be good and wrong appear to be right.
Could Satan influence you?
1 Peter 5:8
: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
2. What precautions would you take if we were literally being stalked by a hungry lion?
3. What did Jesus say we should do to avoid Satan’s influence in our lives? Read Mat 6:13
4. Read Ephesians 6:10-18
. How would each piece of this armor protect a person from Satan?
COMMENT: You have many choices in your life, some trivial and some extremely important. How can you be sure you aren’t being deceived and led astray? How can you know you’re learning true and right values instead of false ones? Even though Satan is much stronger than we are and is a very convincing liar and deceiver, we can avoid his influence. We must live carefully, thoughtfully applying God’s truth to the situations we encounter and decisions we make. And, most importantly, we must ask God for protection, perception and strength.
1. Read Revelation 20:1-3
. What will happen to Satan when Jesus returns to earth?
2. Satan will be released for a short time after the millennium, but what is his ultimate fate? Read Matthew 25:41
What will happen to Satan when Jesus returns to earth? Reviewed by Kannuri JOEL on 11:14:00 Rating: